A simple and short blog about a question one of my students asked me today. They were completing an internet assignment, and one of the questions asked them to list (their opinion) the most import events that occurred during the twentieth century concerning oceanography. One student raised her hand, and I was prepared. I had already thought of possible questions they might have pertaining to this assignment.
- How much do I have to write?
- How many do I have to list….it says just the most important ones?
- Can I use any of the ones listed?
- What if I think they are all important?
- What if I don’t think that any of them are important?
I know you can clearly grasp my knowledge of how fifth graders will try to circumvent the assignment. Needless to say, I wasn’t prepared for this question:
- Which of the years listed are in the twentieth century? I don’t know which ones I can use.
Needless to say, we had a mini less on this topic in my gifted class today! I love my students….they make every day so interesting and unpredictable!